Cracks In The Ice has released comorbidity guidelines for Alcohol and Other Drug workers free of cost. The guidelines also come with free online training.
Please see the description below of the guidelines:
Summary: The Comorbidity Guidelines aim to provide alcohol and other drug (AOD) workers with evidence-based information to assist with the management of co-occurring, or comorbid, AOD and mental health conditions.
The guidelines cover the following three sections of information:
- Part A addresses the nature and extent of comorbidity and discusses why it is important for AOD services to respond. Information regarding the prevalence, guiding principles, and classification of disorders are contained in Part A.
- Part B contains information regarding responding to comorbidity, including holistic health care, identifying comorbidity, risk assessments, care coordination, approaches to comorbidity, managing and treating specific disorders, and worker self-care.
- Part C addresses specific population groups.
The guidelines can be accessed online and are available to download as a PDF.
Please see the training abstract:
Summary: The Comorbidity Guidelines Online Training Program aims to provide alcohol and other drug (AOD) workers with evidence-based information to assist with the management of comorbid AOD and mental health conditions.
Specifically, the program has been developed to assist AOD workers:
- Increase their knowledge and awareness of mental health conditions
- Improve their confidence working with clients with comorbid mental health conditions
- Improve their ability to identify mental health conditions
- Improve their ability to recognise and respond to physical health comorbidities
- Provide practical information on the delivery of a coordinated care approach to clients withcomorbid mental health conditions
- Provide practical information on the management and treatment of comorbid mental health conditions
- Improve their ability to manage their own self-care.
The training program consists of 11 training modules that can be completed in any order. At the end of each module, participants will be provided with a short quiz. Once all modules and quizzes have been successfully completed, a completion certificate will be available for download.